Monday, April 29, 2013


9 weeks to aliyah - “This Land Is My Land”

I just arrived this morning in Israel for a brief stay to take care of a few items, including some job interviews and to start some of the shiputzim (home repairs) that need to be made. This was a last minute decision as far as these things go (that is, we decided one week ago, which is about as “last minute” you would want a trip to be, considering all of the arrangements that need to be made) so I don’t have all of my schedule worked out yet, but it is certainly starting to take shape.

We have taken many trips here in the past and this started out feeling no different from any of those. The flight was uneventful, the choice of movies was not too bad, unlike the taste of the food, and I slept very little on the plane, which seems to work for me anyway, so I am not complaining.

I picked up my car rental and left the airport heading East on Route 1 as I have done so many times in the past. On previous trips, I always felt a bit anxious knowing that, although I was certainly there for a vacation, I was usually going for a purpose with goals to accomplish and knowing that my “regular life” was awaiting me back home in just a few days. As I started out on Route 1 and saw the familiar landmarks, that twinge of anxiety started seeping in this time too.

But then, something strange happened. Those familiar landmarks looked a bit different this time. A very peaceful feeling seemed to descend on me. The fields on the side of the road looked familiar but in a different way. On my previous visits, I always knew that although this is my country as a Jew, I was just a tourist here. I would be heading home all too soon. But this time contrary to the stamp in my passport, I was not here as a tourist. This is the country that I will soon be moving to. The fields are my fields now and I will soon be a citizen of this great land, just like the people around me on the road.

Although I know that this time too, I will return “home” in a few days, I feel different this time. There is a certain primal emotion that you feel when you put that key into the door of the home that you own. You know that you really, really, REALLY are finally home.

5 comments:

  1. Through my tears I share your sentiments, and love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words and actions are so inspiring! Thank you for setting such an awesome precedence. Is there by any chance a Neve Berish?

      Delete
  2. Yea ok fine no shoutout. Cool. Whatever. They were my landmarks before they were yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blog. I am so happy for you and Doda Pearl. Having spent this past year in Israel I can certainly say my love for the land has grown. I have a new found appreciation and admiration for those who live here, especially those who have picked themselves up from the comforts of America and did what others only dream of. I wish you only Hatzlacha and ease in your transition. You will be extremely missed in New York, but we are proud of you representing our family. I think Saba and Safta would have been very proud of you as well.
    Esther Rimler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther, thank you so much for your very thoughtful words of chizuk. I hope everyone realizes that the encouragement and backing we get from our family and friends means so much to us and is incredibly helpful, especially during those stumbling moments when we feel overwhelmed and panicky. Thank you again, and I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete