Monday, July 15, 2013

Aliyah + 2 weeks "Smelling the Roses"

We rushed into this past Shabbat, putting last minute touches on so many things before we had to light candles. I managed to forget to put tape on the switch in our refrigerator (thank goodness Pearl remembered) and when I finally got to the beit Knesset and sat down, I gave a big sigh. I needed this shabbat a LOT. I was speaking with someone later and mentioned that for the first time, I am looking forward to Tish’a B’Av because it will give me an additional day of rest this week.

We have been so busy getting things done that we have not had much of a chance to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of our hard work. Yesterday, our appliances were installed so we were able to have our first home-cooked meal – that is certainly something to celebrate, especially after a long day in Talpiot, choosing tiles and bathroom fixtures and (finally!) buying the two beds that we need for the family that is arriving for Ilan and Julia’s wedding.


Morning clouds over Beitar Illit


This morning I looked out of our window and saw the lovely sunrise on a cool, dry summer day. I could see Beitar under the clouds that stretched out to the Mediterranean Sea. It was a sight to behold. Last Friday we saw a painter across the street, setting up her easel to paint the magnificent view that we are zoche to see every day. I never lived in a place that would warrant the attention of an artist before.


This morning we are going to have pancakes on the porch and I plan on just relaxing and sipping my coffee for an extra few minutes while breathing in the fresh air. There are so many things that need to be addressed “dachuf” (urgently) but they will just have to wait a few minutes longer. Sometimes you just have to take a moment to smell the roses.

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, I have been enjoying your blog. I did notice on Pearl's breakfast photo that you have mastered the French press! What a beautiful view. My love to Pearl, Be well, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another 'smell the roses' moment came along this evening as Tisha B'av came to a close. I walked over to shul just in time to see a beautiful crowd of men, young and old, drained emotionally and physically from the sadness of 3 weeks of mourning, reciting Kiddush Levana outside, followed by a wonderful treat of sweet juicy watermelon for everyone to break their fast over, donated by a kind and generous member of the yishuv. I wanted to take a picture as everyone stood together outside of the shul, but felt that I might stand out too much; as it was, I turned out to be the only female who ventured out but I am so excited to be here in Israel, I just wanted to enjoy this moment, and...smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete